Monday, August 26, 2013

what up

    No big deal. So I'm just being Asian over here. I PLAYED WITH MONKEYS. Seriously last P-day was soooooo awesome. I love playing with those little twirps of a mammal.... I need more in my life. Also the space bartoday isn't working very well. I'm sorry for that..... Monkeys! We we like okay, we are going to gumpawampi to play  with the lings... So we take a 25 minute bus ride, that cost 50 baht for both Sister Carter and I to ride, then we got off and took this song tow (A pickup truck with a hood over the trunks and builtin seats....so awesome) to the monkey park. You know, I thought it was going to be like a legit thing. But we just pull up to this random  normal park, with monkeys EVERYWHERE. Apparently like 10 years ago monkeys just took over the area.... Pretty cool.... But there was a guy in this tug tug with peanuts so we bought some from him and he only spoke aseon so we couldn't understand him. haha. Then all these wild monkeys started coming up to us asking us for peanuts, they were probably speaking Aseon too, I don't know, I can't understand either language. haha. But monkeys, are stray, so obviously. If they bite. It's bad. But they were so friendly because we had peanuts. They told us to stay away from the big monkeys..... So eventually this big monkey comes up to us and we just keep feeding it peanuts because it just chased us till we gave it another peanut. Then I met some monkey baby friends at the slide and shared my peanuts with them... That was sooo fun. I have a great picture from that.... made me happy. Their hands are so soft. I just want to pet them and hold them..... But they were so funny the little monkeys on the monkey bars....classic....wrestling down the slide....classic..... I miss those days.... AND On our way home we stopped at a market, and for a little over an american dollar we got two large bags of bananas and a HUGE bag of watermelon. everything is so cheap here I love it. We could go eat at sizzler for like180 baht for the salad bar... We are lucky with our Missionary funds because everything is so cheap in thailand, we can afford nicer restaurants. It's awesome. I love it here. good cheap food..... 

    So besides the monkeys this week definitely humbled me. I started becoming the leader every other day in our companionship, that really wears me out. haha. I have to teach the lesson and prepare for them and oh. It's a nightmare! But I realllly reallly reallly love it. Something I'm preparing for is training at the end of my training...... I really hope I don't have to.... But I may have to... 

    This week I became more and more asian! I'm addicted to soy milk! I had never drinking soy milk before my mission. Now it's all I drink. They have street vendors that sell fresh fresh soy milk in bags. We get one every night. It's like 5 baht..... But I really really love it... I also planted some more last Tuesday... Rice fields like a boss.... I'm getting pretty good now too......

    This week I had my first Buddhist funeral. A lady in our ward's son died..... It was definitely an experience I will NEVER forget.... We go to this wat and sit down and the monks come in and sit above everyone. Everyone is kneeling before them. They speak in their monk language and everyone does this ceremony with bowing and repeating the words..... It was crazy. The missionaries and the members sat in the back.... hahaha. Then they take the open casket over to the crematory right there in the wat and just throw him in...... Lets just say it was definitely interesting to dive into the culture that way.... It's weird, because they did this ceremony for like reaching his spirit and getting in touch with their relatives. And there were lady monks there too.... CRAZYYYYY..... It's weird how I'm experiencing these culture things on a regular basis. Oh for Buddhist funerals they pay"mourners" to go around town wailing and throwing money. It's definitely interesting........ 

    I remember someone asking about cars. We have this one lady in our ward who has a car that takes us around. She is awesome... And a life savor sometimes.....

    This last week on wednesday we went contacting at a market. We sang hymns in the middle of flowing traffic in thai and we handed out baptism pass along cards and committed everyone we talked to about baptism to be baptized. We have 2 new investigators from it:) It was definitely one of the coolest experiences telling people hey. Do you know why we worship Jesus? We worship him because he takes away our sins, we can do this through baptism, will you be baptized? It's way cool being the only Christians because anything you say to these Buddhist based religious people is the first time they hear about Christ and how much he loves them.... It's so great because if anyone wants to meet with us and we teach them and they gain a testimony of Jesus Christ. Everything else in the gospel makes complete sense to them... Joseph smith was a prophet? Easy, they believe it instantly.... We are the closest things to Christ these people have ever met..... It's seriously a huge responsibility to be personally worthy enough to have his spirit with us.... It's the make or break point with these people.... I love being a representative. I definitely have a lot to grow as a missionary. But it's so rewarding. 

    We are working with a lot of Less Actives right now. Which is awesome. We are so getting closer and closer to a temple with this less active work.... We have 1 investigator Yuuey who is still working towards baptism. She is the sweetest thing I've ever met and I love teaching her... We also have like 8 other investigators we are teaching that are just at the beginning and we hope to see them progress.... Please pray for Udon! We need it!!!!!! 

    I love this language family! It's my favorite thing in the world!!!!!! I speak the coolest language. I love when people get surprised that you know how to speak their language when you order food and go contacting. they love it. They speak like cavemen out here. The grammar is so simple. Like Water is :Nam in Thai and ICe is :Nam Kang which litterally means "water". Like vaccum means a machine that sucks.... Prettyfreaking legit. Anways.... I'm getting Fatter the healthier I eat, So I'm not sure why my body is slightly being dumb. I'll send some pictures.... Also... If someone could find "As I went down in the river to pray." by the mormon tabranacle choir, I would love that!!!! Also, Me and sister Carter are so legit and do some bike tricks... It's so fun
That is all. Love you tons and tons

Sister Phelps

Notice the baby monkey holding on to the mamma monkey's tummy?

I love this pictures... I love monkeys.... I'm such an asian

First things first. That giant nasty monkey stole our bag of peanuts. And when he did. My genius companion decided she wanted them back because she was pissed, so she went to grab them back and all the thais freak out and the monkey swats at her.... Such a dummy..... But in the end. The rest of the peanuts went to the ape of a monkey.


Monkeys everywhere... I was a little nervous to take this picture. haha oh well. I love monkeys

Kop Phom and Sister Carter and I eating mini bananas and about to go work in the field!

This is what happens when you run into a member while contacting and trying to teach others about baptism. You get a bag of fresh delicious donuts, a delicious fresh strawberry drink, and a pile of fat left to show for it.... Also don't remember me this way.... I look scary in this picture

us on our soi this morning doing bike tricks. Legit.

Some more classic bike pictures (superman) Sister Carter just leaned over and told me i'm so weird

No comments:

Post a Comment