Thursday, May 23, 2013

This Week's Letter - "Khrap Khrua"

Sawaddii Khaa!!!
     
     Kuhn Sabbaddii May? Sabbaiddii Ka? Aww Dii Dii.... Sister yag waa phuud khrap khrua khong sitderrr! I was to talk to my family. Awe yeahhh. I'm just speaking Thai over here. No big deal:) Hey Family!!! I love you guys! I got sooooo many letters this week it was crazy!!! Today I wrote EVERYONE back, I hope. They are short, but I sent out 15 letters today. So yes! My favorite letter, LANDON COLBY GRIFFITHS. My freaking favorite 6 year old boy made my day!!! This is what he said,"To: Emilee From: Landon, How much I miss you is a lot, I got to see my ducklings swim in a tub." TELL ME THATS IS NOT THE CUTEST THING YOU'VE EVER READ. Oh my gosh, I showed everyone, even if I didn't know them. Everyone loved it so much. I love my little Nephew... Alright so the good stuff. My name is Sister Phelps, I'm a Mormon, and I believe in Crocs!!!!! No joke, Mom those crocs are seriously the best thing ever! You need to get some for camp, they are really cute too!!! I'd never thought I would EVER go on a mission, nor did I ever think I would EVER wear a pair of Crocs.
Best part of my week I'm going to start off with.... I'm sitting at breakfast, you know, the usual morning tradition, when all of a sudden my most AWESOME companion Sister Hughes starts quoting Galaxy Quest!!!! "Lets get out of here before one of those things kills Guy." Oh my gosh. We probably talked in straight Galaxy Quest quotes for the rest of breakfast. I love her.... I'm typing really slow today for no reason. I'm sorry. My head is a little fried. Hahha.
  
     This week was definitely great, I loved class, I love the Language, and I love my Savior. Nothing really exciting did happen, I did get humbled though a ton when our investigator lessons were not going as planned haha. But they were really great at the same time, I don't know it's hard to explain the stress of planning and teaching your teachers that act as investigators. They are great people, and I really want to impress them. We currently only have 2 investigators at the moment named P Thom and Nike. P Thom is currently a prostitute manager and we don't know how to get around that hahha. No one else in our class has figured that out, it's really hilarious! But I asked him if he would get baptized and he said YES! I loved that feeling. Even if it was fake it totally seemed real. The spirit was so strong when I asked him because we talked about repentance and that he needs to find another job. haha. So Nike we slightly condemed him to hell this week on accident. We told him to read a verse that was supposed to say you are a good person, the knowledge of the gopsel will come as you excersise faith, but instead we read him a scripture that told him that if he doesn't repent about his sexual sins that the gates of hell will let him enter..... So that was interesting:) hahaha. But I really like the learning experiences. They are awesome. I highly suggest a mission, cough dad, cough mom.

     Like I said, I really don't have much to say, I'm sorry. But yesterday was a crazy day. I'll share that. It started out fine, our older group of thais (our P Thais) left and so did the older cambodians, so our zone is gone. It's just the 18 of us that came in for Thailand May 1st. Anyways, we have a new companion. SO there is 4 of us. Only for a week now, Her name is Sister McQuivey from Boston MA and she is going to Washington State Cambodian Speaking. She was the only Cambodian speaking missionary going to not cambodian and her mission president requires her to be in the MTC for 10 weeks instead of 9. So she had a really hard day yesterday saying goodbye to all of her family(Cambodians) and you could tell she wanted to leave, I feel bad that would be so hard. She is the only one out of I think 14 that wasn't going to cambodia. Anyways so we adopted her and she leaves tuesday for Washington and she is the funniest person I've ever met. We will be eating dinner and she will yell to a random missionary, "Hey you can you get me something to drink?" Haha. She is really awesome, really weird, but a great weird. She is awesome. She just turned 19. Anyways. Also what happened last night is we went to personal Study and Sister Stack had a freaky asthma attack. Like she couldn't open her eyes and I was just feeling so bad. We had campus medics rush in and help her, and the district boys gave her a blessing, we were like stuck in our room for an hour. It was crazy. She is better now, just scary.
On Sunday devotional we had Mary Edmunds speak, funniest old Lady I've ever heard, Just google her. She was awesome I really enjoyed it. Sundays are so relaxing. I love it. I'm completely spiritually fed while the rest of the week is also spiritually awesome but definitely spiritually draining at the same time.

     So the Language is Coming Family!:) I'm actually not too bad. I mean I'm pretty sure I sound really white but like honestly, I know so much. If you really want to know what it sounds like, it's like when you push someone down the stairs and they make all those noises. That's Thai. Haha. So, Khaa and Khaa with a tone on the A means two completely different words. One means thankful and the other means kill. So Sister Tilley, the one dad stalked [As a point of reference for those who don't know, Emilee's dad was looking up missionaries online who were called to Thailand prior to the start of Emilee's mission, and he happened upon Sister Tilley's posts about getting called to Thailand...not stalking in a creepy sense! haha], went into her investigator lesson and said the wrong form of khaa and she was so confident she was teaching him how to pray and told him to khaa phrapuupanchaw like thank God for anything. And he was like are you sure, so he starts to pray and says, Prapida Bon Sawaan, Puag Khapraong KHAA and then starts shooting the heavens. Oh my gosh I will NEVER make that mistake. I'm sure I've killed Heavenly Father so many times in my prayers. Aghhh. Hahaha. My favorite line in THai is My Pen Rie. It means no big deal. We are having a blast learning new words. And for some reason every word I learn sticks. I don't know how that happens!! The gift of tounges is real! I fully believe it! :) Also, the bathroom is hongnam and the impure room is the same with a tone on the A. And our teacher just dies laughing because we always say we need to go to the "impure room." Ooops. And guess what. This is the hardest part about Thai, there are 7 zones of time throughtout the day. We just have AM and PM. Nope they have SEVEN! It's the hardest language to ever tell time in. So that was a struggle yesterday haha.

     So our teachers, they really won't tell us anything about Thailand at all. They are like serious about there job and every once in a while we will get things out of them. These are the things they told us about being a missionary in Thailand: there ARE washers but no dryers, they have no dairy Products :( Sad day. The tigers there are on drugs so you can touch them haha and they get to ride elephants. Brother Shipley was telling us that every meal they eat on the streets. Even breakfast. It's just the culture. So I'm excited about that. Thats ALL we got out of them this week. Can you imagine how crazy we are going? Like freaking crazy. We have no contact with the outside world. We just found out that there was a tornado. And on sunday we found out Sister Monson passed. Extremely sad. Anyways. I didn't really think what I was going to say this week. I'm totally sorry! Hmm..... Did you realized I cussed in my letter last week on accident? Oops. Also, Mom I can answer some of your questions. I do drink A LOT of chocolate milk. LIke at least 1 a day. The food is going well, I'm eating it and it's not desirable but it's edible. The cookies are gold here. So yummy. My room is good I guess. 3 bunk beds 2 dressers 2 desks. Not much room to move and our mattresses are comfortable:) So I do like our room. It's cute. Our bathroom is slightly foul. But usable with flip flops. Haha. It's okay though. We definitely are grateful for everything!

     Well that's all for the week I love you guys a lot! Thank you for the support I get every week. A mission is the best thing that has happened to me. I'm not bored and I LOVE krispy kremes.... Just letting you know:) haha. I love this gospel, I'm blessed with everything and everyone. I have a STRONG testimony in the church and everyday I'm growning more love for the Savior and the scriptures. Love you all. Have a good week!


Elder Hill and Me with our stuffed animals. Weirdest picture ever.
My awesome crocs

My companions and me on temple walk!! I love them

This one is for you mom. Elder Proctor and Sister Tilley I made them take a picture with me! Also Elder Proctor is a sweetheart and filled out most of my letters I'm sending out today so if thez are in boy's hand writing, don't lose your testimony!!! It was just a kind jesture.

No comments:

Post a Comment