Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Hey Family

Hey Family


    It's early I know. We are going to Ayuttaya today... It's a city of ancient ruins and Budda statues and wait for it... RIDING ELEPHANTS...... Yeah. My district is going. We are pretty cool. Pretty stoked. Last week for Pday we went biking around this Island (You think i would get sick of biking but...I don't) Anyways it was sooo beautiful. Very buddist with lots of wats. Oh man. Wats are litterally the weirdest things. Now people thing mormons are weird. Worshiping idols is way different. There is a giant budda with a disco ball on it's head. Lot's of insence and a TON of red Fanta soda for their anscestors (THe believe the red fanta keeps the ghosts away). But on top of that the have people wai ing the statues and doing crazy sand scrit chants and lifting boulders above their heads. I just guess I will never understand it. It's just weird but hey. I respect that they go to the temples and cherish their ancestors.. But anyways. The island was BEAUTIFUL. So many Thai Pottery things. Just a beautiful island with lots of dogs. Best part is taking the little ferry over there with our bikes. :) I have pictures.

    This week we spent 20 minutes on the phone with a member figuring out what we wanted for dinner. I love white people. Seriously. I'm in the right place. 

    THIS WEEK. ANyways. I won't say to much. Still a little stressed. I felt the spirit in our work a ton more this last week though. Something that I feel like prayers were answered on that part. I'm loving this baptizing stuff. But I think the pressure is more for the elders to be driven. None of the sisters really get motivated off of numbers. We get motivated off of getting a temple in Thailand. Numbers definitely concribute to that but I heard a story about 3 stone cutters for the temple and a reporter asked each one of them what they were doing. The first said he was cutting stone. The second said he is earning 3 pieces of gold everyday. And the last one says, "I'm building a temple of god." That story was in our investigator class haha. But I'm pretty sure it was for me. I'm building a kingdom of God. Not baptizing every asian I find. haha. But don't get me wrong. Still teaching towards baptism every chance we get. 

    Our pool of investigators is amazing. We found 2 of Gods elect this last week. They are ready. we are excited. One is a chinese girl who speaks very little english that was atheiest before she met with us. After she told us she knows she is closer to Jesus Christ. And she KNEW without a shadow of a doubt she is supposed to be baptized. We are working with her getting her visa first. But. Oh man. What a cool experience.....

    Yesterday. We had an investigator named Mongkhon that we gave over because he was in the other branch. But the sisters that are teaching him right now called us last night and was like Mongkhon prayed yesterday and said inhis Thai/English prayer: "Bless my best friends sister Ellis and Sister Phelps for helping me find the God."........It's those moments that keep me going:) Too great. Awe. Love it.

I'll send some pictures from my island trip last week! Love you tons!

Sister Phelps





Also. This is my chat with President last week. I feel better haha. Plus I'm hilarious when it comes to analogys.


"Hey president!
This week was definitely stressful. Definitely a lot of pressure from the zone leaders. We are seeing miracles but unfortunately our miracles end up in the other branches area. So we are working through them. We had some miracles show up yesterday at church. We are hoping they will be baptized on sunday! Pretty fast. But if there is one thing SIster Ellis and I have learned this week is that we are NOT in charge. At all. The big guy upstairs is pushing the shopping cart of his own work. We just are the little kids that are riding in the basket throwing our favorite cereal in the cart but then he obviously reminds us that there are better cereals out there. He just laughs and put our nonsense back on the shelf and continues to push his work the way he needs it. We just get to ride along enjoying the time we spend with him. What a good dad right? I hope that analogy was making sense just a little bit haha! Thanks for this month. It has really shown my potential as a missionary!"

-Sister Phelps

Dear Sister Phelps,

Great shopping cart analogy!  Don't stress to much about pressure from Zone Leaders.  A little bit of pressure is good in my life, as I seem to work better under it with heightened mental and spiritual acuity. But it should never get in the way of our ministry as representatives of Jesus Christ. I know that you will maintain a proper balance.  Have a great week.

President Senior




Island "Ko Kret" I am a fan of that tree picture. Too cool



Fhe last week... 

This is our Less Active Nam. She is so small


I killed the clown at the park


This hilarious Cafe you're just like. What? haha


My legs get FILTHY in Bangkok.... Oh soooo gross.

This is how we do it. Ice cream. FILTHY legs. Phone calls and planners at 9 oclock at night... Too fun.




This is a thai named YOK. She reminds me exactly like Maddie from college. Acts like her, super stylish and cute. Gosh I miss that maddie girl! haha. 

1 comment:

  1. I miss that Emilee girl more than she misses me!

    -Maddie

    ReplyDelete